A Downside to the iPhone
Posted: 04 June 2008 11:14 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2008-06-02

One of the biggest features that people want when they purchase a cell phone is simplicity. Apple knows what customers want, and they take created the Apple iPhone with this in mind. This is one of the reasons this phone has become so popular.  It is easy to stay in touch with your iPhone. Playing around with the iPhone is so much fun. However, the iPhone has missed on a couple of points. There is a downside to the iPhone. It is not the perfect peripheral that it proclaims to be. Some of the issues are with the battery, memory, and AT&T;. 

What ? there is a downside to the iPhone? Actually, there are several. The first issue is with memory. It is not possible to upgrade or add to the iPhones memory. You have either 6 GB, 8 GB, or a 16 GB model and that is it. If you love to download content and music, you will quickly find yourself running out of space. This means loading and unloading content from your iPhone to your computer. Nothing is more annoying than starting a download and finding out you cannot complete it because your memory is too low. This was one area that Apple missed on. Teenagers can download an amazing amount of music and video content. Having the option to use memory sticks would have been a nice feature.

Many iPhone users are unhappy with the fact that the iPhone battery is sealed and cannot be changed. The overall consensus with the current owners is that they were not warned about the battery situation. Apple is being sued about the iPhone battery and the lack of disclosure on the fact it cannot be changed. I agree with the users here. If you shell out $500-$600 for a phone and it dies in 6 months, you are going to be pretty upset. The ability to change cell phone batteries is standard within the cell phone industry. Perhaps apple would have been better off with making money on battery replacements and this would have many users happy and Apple out of court. Short battery life is the number one complaint of heavy cell phone users. This is another downside to the iPhone.

Finally, the calling plans that AT&T;offers for the iPhone leave a lot to be desired. Lacking calling plans that allow free usage between AT&T;users, or calling circles, or other forms of unlimited use, AT&T;has fallen behind all of the other cell phone carriers. Furthermore, limits on area coverage and interruptions in service reduce the cell phone user?s sense of freedom. This is why most of us chose to have a cell phone ? the ability to roam and call when and where we please. The iPhone and AT&T;really shaft the consumer on the exclusive contract between the two. AT&T;has no incentive to give better rates to iPhone users because they legally cannot go anywhere else. Roaming charges and fees for the iPhone are astronomical. This is a downside to the iPhone and it is compounded by the fact that hackers have found a way to unlock these phones so they can be used on other cell phone networks. Apple set itself up for this one, and until the exclusivity is removed, the hackers are going to be right there breaking into every code update that Apple releases.

Apple has been making computers and peripheral devices for many years now. You would have thought that they would have put a little more effort into researching the effects on users that memory, battery life, and availability of an affordable cell phone plan would have on potential users. I foresee a decline in the iPhones popularity due to these concerns. Hackers will keep having a field day with unlocking iPhones until the agreement between AT&T;and Apple expires, or it gets sent to the courts. It will be interesting to see how the battery issues turn out in court. There is a downside to the iPhone and Apple has done nothing to fix it.

Posted: 12 July 2008 11:16 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-07-12

The battery issue was fairly well covered by the tech media outlets around the time of the release of the first generation iPhone.  It’s one of the biggest reasons I won’t touch an iPhone.  It’s also going to be a big drawback for adoption by enterprises, which won’t want to turn in phones that might have proprietary information.  (Apple may not care about getting business enterprises onboard at this point, but if they want to grow this product line 3-5 years out, they’ll need to target business, too.)  I wonder how many first generation phone owners have had to exchange phones because the first battery went dead.

Posted: 02 September 2009 12:36 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2009-09-02

Yes Apple is know what people want and he developed it successfully. Like the new iPhone 3GS cell phone. iPhone 3GS is a GSM cell phone that’s also an iPod, a video camera, and a mobile Internet device with email and GPS maps with faster performance. Experience the wide world of Apple at the Apple Store. Shop for Apple computers, compare iPod and iPhone models, and discover Apple and third-party deals.

Posted: 16 November 2009 05:59 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-11-16

Actually it’s not that perfect. An iphone doesn’t have any qwerty board in which you could use easily or automatically especially when times of danger..You have to tap first the screen when you need to use it..

Regards,
michellefins
Pret voiture

Posted: 10 January 2010 11:46 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2010-01-10

As far as memory, I’ve gotten used to it on my iPhone. Before the iPhone, I had an ipod with tons of memory where I could load my entire library of music on. With the iPod, I can put about 100 albums on there. I’ve learned to just switch out the albums every month or so. Not a big deal for me. As far as the battery goes, hopefully the next generation iphone will have a replaceable battery.

Posted: 24 March 2010 08:16 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2009-08-31

This is why most of us chose to have a cell phone ? the ability to roam and call when and where we please.I?ve learned to just switch out the albums every month or so.

Posted: 09 May 2010 05:22 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-05-09

I think iPhone suffers from the same thing that the Mac does? It?s designed for the technically inept. I bought a WM 6.0 handset, because if I want to be able to do something that?s not out there yet, I can write it myself, and in a popular language? like C# as opposed to Objective C ? which as I understand it, is what iPhone Apps are written in? Who the **** knows objective C?? Lame.

Posted: 04 June 2010 03:26 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-06-04

Yes i agree the battery is not the best but still the iphone is a killer phone and i can’t live without it.

Posted: 12 August 2010 09:11 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-12

I agree the battery is not the best but still the iphone is a killer phone!

Posted: 20 January 2011 04:18 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-12-13

iPhone is the popular smart phone with many features and design but it has some drawbacks also which I m sure should be resolved soon. It has a main drawback of short term battery and it is not renewable. Apple iPhones come with sealed battery and it cannot be replaced for a new one. Apple should focus on resolving battery issues as soon as possible.