Sony NWZ-A820 Walkman Player (iPod alternative?)
Posted: 01 June 2008 11:22 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Sony NWZ-A820 Walkman player is equipped with rich features with a relatively slim design. NWZ-A820 also boasts the capability to manually delete videos directly from the internal memory without having to plugging to a computer. This MP3 player comes in 8GB and 16GB, retailing for $270 and $320 respectively when they arrive this March in just one color - black.

* Sony EX series in-ear buds with 13.5mm drivers
  * 2.4″ QVGA LCD display (320 x 240 resolution)
  * Integrated FM tuner
  * Video playback of 30fps
  * 36 hours of battery life for audio playback
  * 10 hours of battery life for video playback
  * Built-in noise-canceling system (up to 75%)
  * Bluetooth A2DP technology
  * Compatibility with WMA-DRM, WMA, AAC, PCM, MP3, MPEG-4 and JPEG file formats
  * Bundled with DR-BT21G Bluetooth-enabled headphones

A picture of the gadget :- http://wikigiz.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/sony-nwz-a820.jpg

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:17 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

Well thats cool, I thought that walkmans were out. I want a MP3 player just cant afford to get one at the moment. I used to have a portable CD player but I broke that a long time ago and just havent replaced it yet. Never seen a walkman that looked like this though. Its very small which I like, I may have to go check one out for real.

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:34 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

Nothing is an “iPod alternative”.  As far as most (ignorant) people know, iPods aren’t even MP3 players, iPods are totally different and unique and nothing compares to them because they have the best TV commercials!  Anyone who knows better shouldn’t be considering an alternative to the iPod, but should be considering the iPod an alternative to better, more capable players if you can’t find one you like.

Except for battery life* and file support, the Samsung P2 is better:
- In-box earbuds are usually not worth keeping
- P2 has a larger, 3” 480x272 16:9 touch screen
- FM tuner
- Video playback, 30fps
- 15 hours audio battery life
- 5 hours video battery life
- Bluetooth A2DP with call-routing through your cell phone
- Up to 30 individual bluetooth deviced can be paired (not used simultaneously)
- MP3, WMA, select WMA DRM, SVI (Samsung proprietary version of AVI), WMV
- 16GB $320, 8GB $230

Edit:  P2 battery life given as tested, I don’t know if 36/10 is the tested or rated battery life for the Walkman.

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:47 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2008-06-01

specs on it look good. Overall good mp3 player but not an ipod alternative unless you really love sony.

Posted: 29 June 2008 02:14 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

I would have to go with what Doug has mentioned. I do think an iPod alternative, the closest, would be the Zune because well, everyone compares Apple and Microsoft, haha. I think Sony is a great company, don’t get me wrong, they make such affordable and reliable products, but if one was to look for an iPod alternative, I think it’ll be hard to find since iPods truly are quite unique and different. This Sony product does look pretty nice though. I know a lot of other companies are trying to add more things that compare to an iPod, such as video or photos, but the iPod is still unique in its own little way.

Posted: 04 February 2009 10:13 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-02-04

The only advantage in this one is having an FM tuner and Bluetooth. But, still, Ipod is in a very different category, and Zune is the nearest Ipod competitor so far.

Posted: 17 February 2009 05:59 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-02-03

I am so glad they made a smaller mp3, people would be walking around with huge pockets. Ipod was a HUGE hit.