Music Downloading
Posted: 26 June 2008 09:34 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

Do you think that downloading music should be legal? I think that maybe they should like at least allow the song to be downloaded for so long so that they can make sure it gets out there. Maybe make it available for so long and thats it. And make it to where you cant burn it so that you have to go out and buy the cd. At least then you might not have so many p2p programs trying to get away with free music and the artists will get their money to. Maybe to they wont have so many viruses on the p2p programs either. Was just a thought lets see what you think.

Posted: 26 June 2008 09:40 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07
littlebull - 26 June 2008 12:34 PM

Do you think that downloading music should be legal? I think that maybe they should like at least allow the song to be downloaded for so long so that they can make sure it gets out there. Maybe make it available for so long and thats it. And make it to where you cant burn it so that you have to go out and buy the cd. At least then you might not have so many p2p programs trying to get away with free music and the artists will get their money to. Maybe to they wont have so many viruses on the p2p programs either. Was just a thought lets see what you think.

Funny you bring this up. Wrote an essay on it yesterday.
Because of the new Canadian Bill being passed making it illegal now. Used to be legal in Canada :(
But yeah I dont think it should be illegal. They blame cd losses on it but its stupid. If im going to buy a CD ill buy it. I like having it on my computer without having to rip it. Sometimes I buy CD’s i download and had no intention in purchasing. So I think it helps sales!
It allows for a wider stream and access to music. If they arent gonna buy the cd they are gonna buy the tickets the shirts the other stuff.

Posted: 26 June 2008 10:05 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

Yeah thats true so they arent really losing out on much anyway. Oh well I can remember when it was first legal and Napster was the first to get into trouble about it. So many people do it anyway they should just make it legal so far and then they wouldnt have to worry about it so much. But now a days they dont want you to do hardly anything so I dont really see this happening.

Posted: 26 June 2008 10:18 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2008-05-31

Of course its not going to happen, the music industry, mainly the RIAA is way too money hungry. I do agree that it shouldn’t be illegal, well maybe not entirely. I think the best way to go about it is to allow free downloading of a certain percentage of songs off a new CD to give you a taste of it and decide from there if you like it or not. If you like it, then go out and buy the CD. If not either keep the free samples so to speak or get rid of them.

Posted: 26 June 2008 10:21 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

Or just make available for download for so long and not be able to burn them and then when time is up make it not available and not playable so that they have to go out and buy it. Would help with people downloading illegally to and not get viruses as much through there.

Posted: 26 June 2008 10:28 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07

Regardless of what happens, nothing is going to change. People will still download music illegally for years to come.
The RIAA is stupid.
Wanna make back the money that you claim is lost. Then fricked use the internet to its potential.

Posted: 26 June 2008 10:48 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

Thats true people are gonna keep downloading, if they can get away with it they are gonna do it. Yeah I think they are stupid, I mean really what did we do before computers? We took the cd or tape and recorded it on a tape so there is no difference, well we would go to a friends house and borrow the tape or cd, take it home and record it. Either way its all the same to me. Really no different doing that then downloading it.

Posted: 26 June 2008 10:54 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31

I agree completely. The RIAA is stupid and people are going to continue doing it no matter what happens.

Posted: 26 June 2008 04:30 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

I read about this and since I also, live in Canada, they are making it more noticeable and getting more attention now. I read a newspaper article about it and it made it sound really freaky, like, they would track you down and everything. Pretty dramatic article and it scared me about downloading music illegally! People are going to continue doing it, but I think it is more popular downloading legally and faster/easier. I do prefer downloading and paying for what I get.

Posted: 26 June 2008 05:30 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07
jess1ca - 26 June 2008 07:30 PM

I read about this and since I also, live in Canada, they are making it more noticeable and getting more attention now. I read a newspaper article about it and it made it sound really freaky, like, they would track you down and everything. Pretty dramatic article and it scared me about downloading music illegally! People are going to continue doing it, but I think it is more popular downloading legally and faster/easier. I do prefer downloading and paying for what I get.

To be honest, I am not worried. The bill will not pass. Telus, Shaw and all the providers are fighting against it. It is an invasion of privacy and waste of time for them to give up this information. Its just Canadian government falling under pressure from whomever to do this. The law isn’t as harsh as the USA law but its still rediculous. I doubt itll pass though.

Posted: 26 June 2008 06:24 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

I live in the USA and here it is illegal but you have those people who still do it. Of course you shouldnt with all the viruses and such, but if they would make it legal with some boundaries there maybe less of this. But they dont see it that way, so I guess were stuck with it being illegal.

Posted: 26 June 2008 08:36 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Thanks gohan_bcc1, I do think that it is quite interesting that Canada is planning on doing something about it. littlebull, I think it is very hard to download a virus or something when using an illegal program to download stuff, but I know it does happen. However, there are “other” ways to download music and well, I think people do what they feel they’re most comfortable with…whether it’s using iTunes or another program. There is nothing one can do about this, but it is an issue and well, I believe is getting more popular nowadays. A lot of people would rather download or get something for free…

Posted: 27 June 2008 11:46 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

Not real hard, if you go looking for like say games or other stuff on there you can get infected. They have zip files that you can download and when opened to the computer then you get infected. So I would recommend staying away from those. That and I know a couple people that are always finding these viruses by downloading the music. Yes it is more and more popular now a days, which is why they are trying to crack down on it more. But I dont think that they will ever get to the bottom of it completely. And to be honest you dont always get every song that is on the cd, so really I dont know what all the fuss is about, and sometimes the sound quality isnt great either, and they are getting their money with concerts and things, but they want more and more money.

Posted: 30 June 2008 01:14 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-06-26

Downloading is killing artist. New Artists are the ones that hurt the most, so music will slowly become the same things over and over again

Posted: 30 June 2008 02:16 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31

What the music industry takes from the artists is far more than downloading songs by them.

Posted: 30 June 2008 02:51 PM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

Yep and like I had said before its no different then like in the older days of tapes that you borrow from a friend and tape them. No difference they didnt throw people in jail for that or fine them. They could make limits on the downloads just I think that they should legalize it, either way people arent gonna stop no matter what.

Posted: 06 July 2008 11:39 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2008-05-23

They won’t legalize downloading music for free beaceause then the RIAA couldn’t sue 12 yr olds for having a 100gigs of music. The government wants money and so does the RIAA and since they work hand in hand, what’s good for one is good for the other. It will never change unless the Music industry pushes to get rid of the RIAA.