Point system should stay. (prizes each month)
Posted: 05 June 2008 08:01 AM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2008-05-31

Maybe we don’t have to just you the point system for the contest. So I was thinking, maybe Andru could give out a prize like a gadget each month for the person who has the most points. Does anyone agree? I think this idea will attract a lot of users.

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:08 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

That means you want everybody to spam in every month ? Spamming is going on here for only the contest.Do you want this spam to be continued in each month ?

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:12 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

I don’t know what they will be doing with the point system in the future, but I do believe that they mentioned that the prize system is hear to stay, which I think is a great thing. The point system is pretty neat and well, there are so many different ways Gear Live can use the point system to increase people participating on the forums. As for giving a prize to the person withthe most points, that is still quite interesting but who knows, maybe they will. I’ll definitely stick around to see what happens though in the future for the point system.

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:15 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31
jess1ca - 05 June 2008 11:12 AM

I don’t know what they will be doing with the point system in the future, but I do believe that they mentioned that the prize system is hear to stay, which I think is a great thing. The point system is pretty neat and well, there are so many different ways Gear Live can use the point system to increase people participating on the forums. As for giving a prize to the person withthe most points, that is still quite interesting but who knows, maybe they will. I’ll definitely stick around to see what happens though in the future for the point system.

How about this. The first person to post 100 times each month will win. 100 times isn’t a lot. And I agree with you on the spam as well. Despite that, spam is everywhere, you just need to learn control. I think this is probably the best contribution I’ve made on this forum so far. I also think they should import a spam detector as well. 😛

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:45 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-23

They do need more moderators around the forums to answer questions if they were to do a contest every few months regarding the point system though. I think that as for the first person to post “xx” amount of times, it would be a neat little giveaway and I have been to some forums that do that. It really isn’t that bad and as long as you don’t spam, posting “xx” amount of times isn’t too hard. However, I think Gear Live will get creative with this points system and I hope it will increase the amount of people that come visit the forums.

Posted: 05 June 2008 07:01 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

Gear Live Points is a permanent feature of the network.

We will be giving away prizes regularly, and they will all rely on the Points system in different ways. We can track Points differently for different contests - for example, we can have a contest that JUST counts Points on the forums, and doesn’t look at comments, or vice versa.

Our next contest will be for a new Gear Live customized iPhone. We also have a few copies of Wii Fit to give away.

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 05 June 2008 07:11 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

oh wow those are really good prizes to give away!! I would love to have on of those, probably more the Wii since my doctor wants me to exercise more (health concerns) I cant afford one myself this would benefit me alot. I have never had an iphone I would like to have one to see what it is and what you can do with one! You have a great website here and its nice that you do this, thanks Andru, you are a nice person!

Posted: 05 June 2008 07:46 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-24

I personally like the points system. As far as the prizes you mentioned for the future, I would have to go with the Wii Fit, but then I would need to buy the Wii system just to use it. I will stay tuned in because I am sure that there will be something to be won in the future that I could benefit from.

@ jess1ca and shady- moderators are needed, but I don’t think that it will totally help with the spamming during contests. It’s just something people do. and as for the ‘100 posts in a month’ there should be some kind of quality control in place. simply because as Andru mentioned in another thread, he can’t sit here and watch all the posts in real time, it would be mind-numbing work. even with moderators something could get through the cracks, and then there goes your contest.

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:06 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

well hes just gonna do it the easier way for contests,
get the highest person and see if they spammed
if they did, he’ll move on to the next highest and see if they did and so on
so quality will be checked!

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:39 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-23

Fantastic prizes that Gear Live has in the future, I think everyone loves those occasional contests now and then. I hope to see you all around here in the future and participating, because this past week has truly been a blast. I have loved discovering and wandering around Gear Live and chatting with all of you. I am glad the point system will continue and will be here to stay!

Posted: 06 June 2008 03:32 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2008-06-01
Andru Edwards - 05 June 2008 10:01 PM

We will be giving away prizes regularly, and they will all rely on the Points system in different ways. We can track Points differently for different contests - for example, we can have a contest that JUST counts Points on the forums, and doesn’t look at comments, or vice versa.

Our next contest will be for a new Gear Live customized iPhone. We also have a few copies of Wii Fit to give away.

I think this answered a question I posted elsewhere. Glad to see that things will go on.  I am Wii deficient, is the Fit a whole system or an addition to a Wii unit?  Guess I’m a bit out of touch on some things.

(Lol, just a minute ago, I tried to post and got a database error. For a second I was hoping that someone had not gotten angry enough to try a DoS on your server.)

Posted: 06 June 2008 04:09 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

oh, so that wasnt just me then i guess, i was also getting an error,
i hope it wasnt anything like what just happened yesterday :\

Posted: 06 June 2008 06:43 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31

Oh Thanks. I will be sure to promote you and tell everyone about this site. 😉
Now you’re talking. So win are you going to start these contests? Are you going to surprise us?

Posted: 06 June 2008 01:29 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-04-30

Thank you for the information andru, so these points what we have earned can also be useful for the next contest also, And i presently dont have an iphone but i like the iphone so much, i will definitely be active in the forum.

Posted: 06 June 2008 01:36 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2004-12-22

Guys, just so you know, the Point totals that you see when you are browsing Gear Live are your GENERAL Point totals. Not the totals for the Dragon contest.

And yes, we will be holding more contests, and we will also be adding new ways you can get Points. One way might be to refer your friends to sign up at Gear Live, and when they do, you earn. We have a bunch of ideas in the works 😉

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 06 June 2008 01:55 PM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-04-30
Andru Edwards - 06 June 2008 04:36 PM

Guys, just so you know, the Point totals that you see when you are browsing Gear Live are your GENERAL Point totals. Not the totals for the Dragon contest.

And yes, we will be holding more contests, and we will also be adding new ways you can get Points. One way might be to refer your friends to sign up at Gear Live, and when they do, you earn. We have a bunch of ideas in the works 😉

Andru i am very happy to hear that referring friends also counts, because i am good at refering my friends,
I am saying this because, my friends like contests, if you want i will make this now itself, i mean tomorrow because its 12.25 am for me right now 😊 and i like your photo to be your avatar than keeping wwf players pics, it looks good for you and infact it suits you well. 😉

Posted: 06 June 2008 02:05 PM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

Well this will make sure that people stay over here and not run away as soon as this current thing is finished.
btw andru dude,you gotta change your pic man,i don’t like it at all,you look like a wrestling heel (no offence its just that avatar of yours).

Posted: 06 June 2008 03:04 PM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2004-12-22
DOOOMKULTUS - 06 June 2008 05:05 PM

Well this will make sure that people stay over here and not run away as soon as this current thing is finished.
btw andru dude,you gotta change your pic man,i don’t like it at all,you look like a wrestling heel (no offence its just that avatar of yours).

I *am* a wrestling heel.

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:

Posted: 06 June 2008 03:10 PM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31
Andru Edwards - 06 June 2008 04:36 PM

I’m confused. How can I kind out my points for the dragon? Also, are you saying what is displayed on the main page when I log in is the total? You are really scaring me right now. :(

Posted: 06 June 2008 04:01 PM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

no there are regular forum rules and there are dragon contest rules, all give you different points
for example from what i hear in on regular days forum threads give you 2 points, but during the contest theyre only 1
so i guess itll read higher than it really is for the contest

Posted: 06 June 2008 04:25 PM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26
Andru Edwards - 06 June 2008 06:04 PM

I *am* a wrestling heel.

oh you are, then in that case keeping with the tradition.

booooo..  :)

Posted: 06 June 2008 07:46 PM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-05-26

Sweet. This is awesome. Gear Live customized iPhone as in the 3G iphone? is it going to be customized with the orange and white Gear Live casing? That iphone you gave away a few months ago was AWESOME. it looks so slick.