Laptops
Posted: 16 April 2006 04:33 AM     [ Ignore ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2006-04-12

I don’t think a laptop is the best option in my opinion.  You should go for a desktop unless you travel a lot, laptops are not that advisable.  What you need is a nice compact desktop…

Posted: 18 April 2006 10:09 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2006-04-12

I just feel very confined with a desktop. I’d like a laptop so I can do stuff like my assignments anywhere. I find it diffcult to sit in one place trying to write a 2000 word essay. Lots of people at my college have them and are really happy with them. I’m still going to get one.

Posted: 18 April 2006 10:35 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2004-12-29

Posted: 19 April 2006 12:12 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-04-18

I am dying to get a laptop.  I do a lot of writing on my pc, and I am feeling really constrained right now.  I right a lot about sports, for example, and I will watch games in my living room, but then have to do write-ups afterwards on my desktop. I would much rather have a laptop with me so I could make notes as I go and then just finish it off very quickly at the end.

It is just not really in the budget right now.  I think having one would help me substantially so I am trying to scrape enough up to get at least a minimialist one to use until I can afford a more powerful option.

Posted: 19 April 2006 01:31 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-04-17

Toshiba is *nice* - I’ve always liked the Tecra and the Portege lines, though I’ve never been lucky (or successful) enough to afford one. I’m planning to hit the road for three weeks to a month this summer, though, since I actually have a job I can do from anywhere with an internet connection, so a laptop and wireless card are musts for me. I love my desktop, but I’m going to have to go portable for this trip. Lucky for me a friend is selling a used-but-late-model Toshiba at a price way below what he could get for it on eBay so I’m golden.

Posted: 19 April 2006 02:04 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-04-18

By the way I just found a good deal on a low-end Dell for $499 and ended up ordering it.  They have $260 instant off for today so it was a really good deal.

I posted about it in the hot deals section.  Looking forward to putting it to use.

Posted: 19 April 2006 03:39 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-04-17

Congrats on your new baby, Triumph! That’s a GREAT price. And so nice of you to share the info. It makes me wish I was in the market to buy today 😊

Posted: 25 May 2006 04:00 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2006-04-12

That sounds like such a good deal, Triumph. I wonder if you’re happy with it?

I haven’t got a laptop yet, but at least I got a new computer. Well, it’s not new new, but it’s new to me. It’s much faster than my old one. I’m really happy.

Posted: 27 May 2006 08:31 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-05-27

If i had only one thing to pick and the choice was between a laptop or desktop, i’d most certainly go for a desktop. A laptop will alwasy feel kinda flimsy to me and they overheat.

Posted: 31 May 2008 02:34 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-05-28

i got both laptop and desktop
dont think you can conserve space when you buy a laptop when you have a lot of component the wires will just look ugly

if you travel buy a laptop
if you are looking for performance just buy a desktop

Posted: 31 May 2008 02:56 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-24

I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop. My laptop is very comfortable (the keyboard sits at an angle that is more comfortable for writing than most) I used to use my Desktop for all the hard work and take the laptop to school, but my power supply went down, so now i use the laptop for everything.

To anyone getting a new computer, list what you may or may not use it for, go price shopping, feature comaprisons, etc., and eventually you will get exactly what you want and/or need.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:00 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2008-05-31

I have 3 useable laptops, my dad has 1 work laptop, and I have this really old Windows 95 desktop. I generally prefer a laptop because they’re less bulky and you can bring them anywhere. Desktops also have the extra storage area (that huge brick, forget what it was called >_<) that makes it really inconvenient.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:19 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-05-26

How to decide:

Laptops:
-If you travel alot, want to take notes in class, etc.
-If you don’t plan to play alot of games.

Desktop:
-you don’t travel alot.
-you want to play alot of games.
-you use Graphic demanding software (3D rendering, CAD etc.)
-you want a power station.

If you want a laptop but still want to play games, you would have to shell out thousands of dollars for a laptop that can run resource demanding games. But with a desktop, for about a thousand dollars, you can build yourself a gamming rig that can handle graphic demanding games and software.

Posted: 31 May 2008 05:07 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

There are huge advantages and disadvantages to having a laptop vs a desktop. Definitely a good topic for a debate, haha. 😉 However, in the end, it totally depends on one’s lifestyle, budget and his/her preference.

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:56 AM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2008-06-01

For me, a desktop feels really confined. I feel like I have to stay in that one place, or go to that one place whenever I want to use the computer. Also, I feel like I get much more accomplished now that I have my laptop. This may be because I just take my laptop with me when I go into the kitchen to make dinner, or I bring my laptop outside with me when I am gardening. This way I can still listen to Gear Live, or watch say… the Discovery take off w/o having to be confined to the chair right in front of the desktop.

Also, I don’t have to miss my favorite TV shows just because I want to use the computer. I can have my laptop on my lap while I am laying on the couch and watching the television (I do not know when the last time I used that word was LOL!).

Posted: 01 June 2008 04:12 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

I currently do, and plan to always, have both.  I always want a computer to take with me or move around, but I also want something I can game on, upgrade and really go all-out on.  I even just like having the tower sitting around and a nice, big monitor to look at even if it’s not in use.  I guess it really just boils down to a pride thing, and having nice stuff.

Posted: 01 June 2008 07:32 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-04-30

I din’t try a laptop till now coz i don’t have it, so far i been using my personal computer

Posted: 02 June 2008 08:49 AM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-05-30

I have both a desktop and a laptop. My laptop is more then powerful enough to do my university assignments and freelance work and so the laptop gets most of the use. I bought an expansion base for my HP dv9000 and use it for my primary computer. Since then I have moved my desktop, an HP media center, has been moved to the living room and become the center of our home entertainment system.

i have come to perfer my laptop to the desk top because I can work anywhere and I enjoy the freedom of going to work where I want.

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:27 AM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Though this is pretty old thread but as someone has alreday dugged it up , i would express my opinion too. 😛 I don’t own a lappy but i always wanted to.Not that if i would have a lappy, i would only be using the laptop over my laptop.In my opinion, working on desktops are far more convenient than laptops.I like a mouse more than a touchpad.Laptop keypads are pain in the butt. 😛

Posted: 02 June 2008 10:29 AM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2008-05-31
ridv34 - 19 April 2006 01:35 AM

Laptops and notebooks are awesome. The only thing better than a powerful computer is a portable powerful computer. The only problems I have with laptops and notebooks is the touchpads and the fact that the keyboards feel very weird after years of using desktops.

Laptops are more than advisable these days, I’d recommend them to anyone, especially college or even high school students. The prices for some pretty good laptops isn’t as high as it used to be. They now actually compare to their desktop counter part (retail that is, not built from parts).

What would be even better for you if you are a student is a tablet PC.

You get used to it. I only have a desktop but when I go the my friend and work on his notebook it’s not that strange… 😉

Posted: 04 June 2008 09:06 AM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-05-30
sushrukh - 02 June 2008 12:27 PM

Though this is pretty old thread but as someone has alreday dugged it up , i would express my opinion too. 😛 I don’t own a lappy but i always wanted to.Not that if i would have a lappy, i would only be using the laptop over my laptop.In my opinion, working on desktops are far more convenient than laptops.I like a mouse more than a touchpad.Laptop keypads are pain in the butt. 😛

I am with you on the mouse. I solved the problem with a Microsoft bluetooth presenter mouse.

‹‹ iPod Nano Thin      Laptops spoil easily... ››