Driving In The Hills
Posted: 02 June 2008 09:41 AM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2008-06-02

?Tis the season for driving holidays in the hillside but take note of these travel tips before hitting the hills and mountain trails…

As the weather vane swivels to warm, it?s time to pick the dinky up and move to the mountains for some respite. But keep these eight time-tested tips from travellers in mind:

1 Check brakes, windshield wipers, defroster, heater and exhaust. Top up the brake and transmission fluids. Check tyre treads for grip and ensure that they are properly inflated.

2 While zooming down slopes is tempting, fight the urge. And don?t use your brakes to hold your downhill speed.

3 On steep upgrades, shift down a gear or two, watch the temperature gauge and turn off the AC to avoid overheating.

4 Mountain driving is not about hogging the centre line. Since mountain roads can be narrow, this is both unwise and irritating to other drivers.

5 The car going UPHILL has the right of way. Yield!

6 Slowing down?whether it?s to view the scenery or because of a steep grade?is acceptable road behaviour. But if the traffic behind you is more than three vehicles, then get a move on!

7 Carry extra drinking water, and remember to drink fluids throughout the day. At higher elevations, insufficient hydration can often cause the onset of altitude sickness.

8 Take frequent breaks. Keep road times to no more than six hours per day.
And, above all, remember to relax and have fun!

Need to cool the engine? Park off the road in a safe place and keep the vehicle idling. Don?t shut off the engine. Never remove a hot radiator cap.

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:44 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-06-01

Thanks but there are not many hills where I live.  Also I hate road trips, if anything take a plane or at last resort go greyhound! 😉

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:46 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

lol yeah theres no hills here either, florida is as flat as flat gets
sometimes i wish it werent, riding down them on bikes is fun…

Posted: 02 June 2008 07:25 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-04-30

I don’ have hills near my place, any ways thanx coz ill use them when i encounter hills

Posted: 03 June 2008 05:26 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

We don’t have a single hill out here.I always wished that i would be staying in a hill station.I don’t have a car too. :(

Posted: 03 June 2008 10:02 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

what do you mean by a hill station?

Posted: 03 June 2008 10:19 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

Most of that maintenance is just plain common sence. I mean if your gonna tak a road trip you always do get your car checked out before hand. Me on the other hand I always rent a car I never take mine on a trup. I am to afraid of it breaking down somewhere, and road trips are to harsh on my car anyways. I only use my car for in town use, its basically just good for that.

Posted: 03 June 2008 12:56 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

hill station is a low lying mountaneous region.its a british invented word,i think.
I have lived all my life at 2100mts in the himalayas and i have never seen anyone over here take such precautions before they go for a drive,they make sure the car is runing ,thats all,some inclines here are about 40 degress.And yes another one we dont wear seat bealts over here,and neither is it recommended,WHY?is you are goign to slided into a gorge or ravine its better your not wasting time and fumbling over trying to escape from a belt trying to take you to death.jump before the vehicle goes down ,numerous people i know have saved their lives like this.

Posted: 07 September 2009 06:04 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-09-07

Hill Station

Thanks for sharing your experience in Himalayas. Without sit belt many people are driving a car. It’s not major problem. but problem is there break the rules.