Should Blockbuster in the Deadpool?
Posted: 01 June 2008 04:12 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

As in-store video rental era has been rapidly diminished, should Blockbuster fall into the Deadpool? Unable to fight off new competition from say Netflix, kiosks, Cable TV on-demand, and losing marketshare to dastardly P2P downloaders, Blockbuster is losing money and it has closed 526 stores in the past year, and the number of employees will be reduced to offset high operation costs to the tune of $45 million!

Tell me what ya think? Did you got hit by those late fees from Blockbuster before?

If they are really closing, most likely there could be some huge DVD/Video games sales?! I?m waiting for that?

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:18 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

I’m not really big into renting games, but I rent the odd movie from time to time.  Even if Blockbuster were to drop out, I never rent from them anyway.  I live in a small town with a lot of old people, so I expect we’ll have video rental places as long as we have physical media to rent.

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:30 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2008-06-01

yeah i have been noticing that blockbuster is going downhill, their online service is starting to become crapy with all their restrictions. They have recently started to sell video game consoles and games which you wouldnt really expect from a rental store to sell. so yeah i agree with you.

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:11 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31
Doug - 01 June 2008 11:18 PM

I’m not really big into renting games, but I rent the odd movie from time to time.  Even if Blockbuster were to drop out, I never rent from them anyway.  I live in a small town with a lot of old people, so I expect we’ll have video rental places as long as we have physical media to rent.

I rent movies only on occations though & my case is almost same like you.If rental stores closes down then that’ll be problematic for me.

Posted: 02 June 2008 01:31 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2008-06-01
sushrukh - 02 June 2008 12:11 PM

I rent movies only on occations though & my case is almost same like you.If rental stores closes down then that’ll be problematic for me.

To be entirely honest, if rental stores closed down I’d probably resort to downloading illegal DVD rips of whatever movies I wanted to watch.

Being able to grab some loose change and run to a physical store whenever I want to is what I like.  I don’t want movies being mailed to me at time I probably won’t be able to watch them, and I don’t want to have to get a credit card just so I can wait for what I want to download.  By the time it’s done downloading, I probably could have run to the store, watched it and returned it.

Posted: 02 June 2008 01:45 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

Eventually I think everyone is gonna go there. You can do just about everything from your computer now a days. People have grown lazy to technology, and businesses suffer unless they have a website form which you can shop on.

Posted: 02 June 2008 02:07 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2008-06-01

I’m just wondering what will happen to people who either don’t have good enough credit to get a credit card, or kids who are too young to get one if they want to buy something online.