My review of the ASUS EEE 4G PC
Posted: 01 June 2008 02:26 AM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-05-30

My sister recently got the Asus EEE 4G.  I has 4 gigabytes of space!  Not much, but it’s good for doing quick work, making documents, presentations, and surfing the web.  It’s also very light-weight, and weighs only 2 pounds!  This notebook came preinstalled with Linux.  It’s easy to customize the look of the “desktop”.  I was able to quickly add our wireless network to it and add the wireless printer.  Using it was pretty simple and straight-forward.  In my opinion this is a great notebook for those that are less savvy with computers.  One thing I didn’t like about this is that the keyboard was small.  The keys are small and it takes some time getting used to typing on there.  Once you get over that though it’s really great using this notebook!  It has the Open Office Softwaer and Google Docs on there, a must have for anyone that makes a lot of documents.  With Google Docs you can access your documents online on any PC.  So after saving documents in Google Docs on your ASUS, you can actually go on an office computer and still access them online.  The touchpad on there is good, and very easy to use.  You can scroll up and down by moving your finger up and down on the right.  If you tap the touchpad it can click!  I prefer to tap the touchpad instead of using the clicker because you have to push down the clicker with a little more force than you would need to put on a normal clicker.  The Asus EEE 4G also has 3 USB 2.0 ports, one on the left side and two on the right.  These are great for adding external devices like a USB mouse, keyboard, or DVD hardware.  There is also a microphone and headphone jack, and an Ethernet port for a wired connection.  This is a very great notebook for those who are on-the-go and want to carry their important documents and work around with them.  I love this notebook.  You can check out the specs of it below:

- Ultra-compact notebook with full QWERTY keyboard and 7-inch display
-  Powered by 900 MHz Intel Mobile CPU and pre-installed Linux operating system (compatible with Windows XP)
-  Over 40 built-in applications for learn, work and play
- 4 GB solid-state flash memory drive; 512 MB RAM; 10/100 Fast Ethernet; 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
- Connectivity: three USB 2.0; VGA output; microphone and headphone; Secure Digital card reader

Posted: 01 June 2008 03:51 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2008-05-31

Thanks for the review, I read him already @ notebooks.com - the 4GB Solid State flash is a prolbem I guess 😉

Posted: 01 June 2008 07:19 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Great review Shan Gee, 2 pounds? Wow! That is light! Have you ever tried making a video or something for your reviews? That would be awesome, but it would be quite time consuming too.

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:11 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31

Wonderfully written review!  For the simple tasks it can perform, it sounds like a lot of bang for your buck, and thats truly a laptop you can carry anywhere… I read an article about Intel possibly coming out with a laptop in a couple years that would be < 0.7 inches thick—does anyone know the status on that project?  The news coming out on it seems to have gone quiet recently…

Posted: 02 June 2008 04:18 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Very nice little review Shan.Thanks for sharing.How much she had to pay btw ? 😊

Posted: 02 June 2008 04:45 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2008-06-01

I wonder how well this would work using remote desktop or vnc to manage other boxes?  Is the flavor of Linux Ubuntu by chance? I’ve messed with it and Mandrake/Mandriva before.
I’d like to know what was paid as well. Thanks for the review!

Posted: 12 July 2008 11:24 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-07-12

Be careful and check your employer’s IT security policies before using any “cloud computing” apps for work-related documents.  There is a growing body of state laws restricting the handling of data on customers (especially electronic storage); there are legal handling requirements to protect potential privileges available should information become subject to discovery in future civil litigation; there are legal restrictions on handling intellectual and proprietary information, etc. 

The unit sounds interesting but not practical for me—I cannot use cloud computing but need software and storage space on my laptop—plus need to use encryption for data files.