Are online classes as good as classroom classes?
Posted: 01 June 2008 07:32 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Are online classes as good as classroom classes? What are your thoughts about this and have you ever taken online classes? I have taken only one online course and it was fine, it was easy and simple and I really think it depends on the subject. I do not think I would ever take a statistics class online because I would have no idea what was going on! I know a couple of people who took gym, yes, GYM, online and I was quite speechless, haha. Classroom classes create a nice environment that is collaborative with everyone and allows all of us to interact with one another. I do prefer classroom classes over online classes, but in the end, it depends on the subject.

Posted: 01 June 2008 07:36 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

I think that you could learn more by being in the classroom itself. There would be to much distration just from online. If it were me that is what I would pick to get the most out of your education. Your more apt to really pay attetion to what is going on if your in the classroom.

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:49 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-05-26

I always wondered about those TV ads that talk about Online Classrooms, i’d think it’s not as good because you don’t get the physical interaction you get with the teacher (no, not what you’re thinking). The teacher can’t take you step by step through your problems, also you won’t have any friends… which i think everyone should have because it helps them get out of the house, and most importantly share things that are hard in their lives. So no, online classes are not as good as real classrooms. (at least that’s what i think)

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:51 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2008-05-29

i am doing an online class now. i have only started this week so i cannot tell just yet.  but so far it seems to be easier that in class for me.

Posted: 01 June 2008 09:00 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2005-09-10

I wonder also is online classes are better than going to school>

Posted: 01 June 2008 09:00 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-05-30

Online classes are really convenient for you.  But the teacher isn’t there and you are your own boss, so you can slack off some times and not do your work.  When you’re in a school environment it’s easier to pay attention to your work and complete it.  If I were to take online classes I would only take them if I had a full-time job because then I could schedule work and my classes however I need.

Posted: 01 June 2008 09:09 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2008-06-01

Basically online classes are shorter, easier, and you don?t learn as much because you do not have a teacher/professor to reinforce the ideas.  But if you need to get a pointless class out of the way for school then online class is the way to go.

Posted: 01 June 2008 09:27 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

all of my high school classes are online, i qualify as home schooled
online sucks, it seems easier at first but then i started getting way more assignments then i could handle and now im behind.
also, i dont remember most of the stuff im learning without a teacher there nagging about it
its horrible, at least mine is
flvs.net

Posted: 01 June 2008 10:08 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-23

Dang, that stinks sharkhead7854. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages when comparing online and classroom classes. I think time plays a huge role too, I took that one online class because of time and how it fitted into my timetable. I don’t believe online classes are shorter or easier though. My internet connection kept disconnecting when I was doing quizzes and it was quite annoying, so I guess that would be a disadvantage for me. :lol: At least the teacher knew that people get into internet problems when having an online class.

Posted: 01 June 2008 10:14 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-06-01

Nope.  They are not, for one there is no physical professor to pressure you or motivate you to complete the task or actually do better on a project/assignment.  Online courses in my opinion are for two kinds of people.  A. The ones that don’t even want to go to the classroom, and just want to do everything the easy way.  For example take a quiz/test with an open book right in-front of them.. Yes, it happens.  or B.  Those whose schedule is so tight that they can’t make it to class on time so they rather do it at their own pace and when they actually have time..  Either way I’m not here to judge anyone, do what’s best for YOU!

Posted: 01 June 2008 10:18 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

good point, thats abother problem too
sometimes i had big file attachments that i would be in the middle of sending when my wireless cuts out-
then i get locked out of the assignment because its only 1 time access

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:53 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

I think it depends from person to person and their different experiences.Sometimes an offline class teacher maynot be much interested in listening to students problems,since the teacher will also have other students,its more of a money making machine,i feel.

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:45 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-23

Ah, I know what you mean DOOOMKULTUS, we’ve all had those boring teachers and professors that make us sleep in class or something.

Great responses everyone, I really appreciate all your thoughts and comments.

Posted: 02 June 2008 07:28 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-04-30

I trust in practical classes more coz they give more knowledge and experience

Posted: 03 June 2008 05:53 AM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

I always believe in the education in the classroom because you can have hands-on experiences & direct guidance/suggestions fro the teachers.Nothing can beat the education system provided by classrooms. 😊

Posted: 03 June 2008 09:28 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

lol actually sushrukh part of the reason i started going to virtual school is to get away from those damned people called teachers XD
i dont know what kind of people you had when you were in school but here the teachers dont care about anything
they give ya some work and if you need help they will give it to you, but they dont make that much of an effort

Posted: 03 June 2008 02:09 PM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-26

I have this incredible hatred for teachers,i feel like beating the crap out of them,they are useless,they become teachers ‘coz they couldn’t find any other job. [thats the case over here, where i live]

Posted: 03 June 2008 02:11 PM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

Teachers are useless ? Man then where you’ll get the education from ? I have immense respect for them but maybe you have a whole different scenario over there.

Posted: 03 June 2008 02:17 PM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-26

You don’t need teachers to provide eduacation,especailly if you are someitng like 16+ yrs old.I have learn’t more from other sources on my own than i have from any of my teachers.Kindergarten and the same not included,at that age nothing is clear.
For me higher education instituites are just there to provide official stamp on your qualification,nothing more.

Posted: 03 June 2008 02:19 PM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

Nevermind i got what you are trying to say.😊

Posted: 03 June 2008 02:26 PM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

im the same, i think iv learned much more on my own in just about every subject except math
not to say school is useless or anything- besides learning the assignments are there to make sure that what you DO learn stays with you

Posted: 03 June 2008 05:08 PM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-23

I think for the classroom classes, examples by the teacher and what the teacher does do help a lot. For example, if a teacher gives an example, a lot of people will remember because some people are visual learners. Also, classroom classes are great for interacting with others, such as in Chemistry or Biology where there are many experiments that involves teamwork and partnering with others. Since I have taken only 1 online class, my thoughts on classrooms are mostly positive and I love getting a chance to talk with the teacher after class or something.