MacBook Air review
Posted: 12 February 2008 02:54 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

First things first - the took no one by surprise. We all knew, based on the reports churning out of the rumor mill, that had a subnotebook up their sleeve, and all signs were pointing at MacWorld 2008 for it’s introduction to the world. Heck, even the name of the product got out there before Steve got a chance to announce it at the event. Of course, that wasn’t the only thing that leaked before MacWorld 2008, as we got our hands on the iPhone 1.1.3 firmware weeks before it was officially announced.

What we didn’t know was how the Air would look. When Steve pulled the computer out of manila envelope, everyone was wowed. The MacBook Air is thin. T-H-I-N. At it’s smallest point, the Air is just 0.16 inches thin. That is thinner than both the and iPod touch. The larger side is just 0.76 inches. Again, tiny.

As for the rest of the specs, the Air is the same brushed aluminum color that you will find on the MacBook Pro line, and is available in 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo speeds. Both models come with 2GB of non-upgradable RAM, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, a 13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit display, and Bluetooth 2.1. As far as ports go, you will only find one micro-DVI, one USB, and one audio out jack. That’s it. As for storage, this is where the major choice comes in. You can choose between an 80 GB 4200 RPM ATA hard drive, or a 64 GB SSD (solid-state flash drive). We got our hands on the version of the MacBook Air.

We give you our thoughts on the SSD-based MacBook Air in our full review.

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 31 May 2008 01:48 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

That is an awesome notebook, and it is very small, good to travel with. I wouldnt mind having one of these myself. I like the idea of it being only 3 pounds to, thats pretty lightweight.

Posted: 31 May 2008 02:47 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

Air is pretty lame,i mean i doesn’t have a cd/dvd drive.Everyone can’t carry external storage drive with them all the time.Massive miss it is in my view.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:06 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2008-05-31

DOOOMKULTUS it’s built to be tiny, lightweight, and portable. Something that tiny just CAN’T have a drive for CDs.
You can always buy an external CD/DVD drive if you really need it. I prefer flash drives and external hard drives just fine.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:10 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31

I heard they worked with Intel specifically to design a smaller processor for the MacBook Air.  Does anyone know if Intel will allow that processor to be placed in other competing notebooks, or is there a deal exclusively with Apple so that they can dominate the ultra-small laptop market?

Posted: 01 June 2008 12:07 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31
DOOOMKULTUS - 31 May 2008 05:47 PM

Air is pretty lame,i mean i doesn’t have a cd/dvd drive.Everyone can’t carry external storage drive with them all the time.Massive miss it is in my view.

oh come on… every good notebooks gotta have at least a cd drive
as good as people may review it, that aspect is a bit lame

Posted: 01 June 2008 12:12 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Thanks for the review. The MacBook Air has some great reviews all around the internet and it is so thin! Wow, if I was to switch to a Mac, I wouldn’t mind having the MacBook Air. 😉 I’ve never owned a Mac before, it’s been Windows all the way for me.

Do you guys own a Mac or have ever owned one?

Posted: 01 June 2008 01:20 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

eh, i had one when i was about 5 lol. i dont think id use it since windows seems to be just a bit more user friendly

Posted: 01 June 2008 01:24 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Very nice review Andru.I only don’t like the fact about the Macbook Air that it ain’t have an optical drive.

Posted: 01 June 2008 01:27 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-05-28

oh no there no optical drive….
just great i also to have to carry an extra bag with me..
i will not buy it cost a lot and no function…iwill stick to my pc.

Posted: 01 June 2008 01:43 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Yeah i’ll always stick to PCs whatever anyone has to say about it.i donno why but i hate Macs.

Posted: 01 June 2008 05:42 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2008-05-31

I also wrote a review of the MacBookAir at notebooks.com but I don’t own this tiny one.

It’s good that some brands wan’t to get a notebook smaller and smaller but the performance is also reduced a lot. Anyway I was suprised they get a dualcore in it because the MacBook Air hasn’t got a good airflow. I’m not such a big fan of Apple but it’s a good company! 😉

Posted: 01 June 2008 06:05 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

The Air is definitely not for me, but I can definitely see a lot of people finding a use for one.  Of course, it’ll be mainly Apple fanboys/girls, but I’m sure a lot of upper-management business folks will want one because they’re too lazy and “trendy” to carry around a larger, heavier, more capable notebook.

Posted: 01 June 2008 11:36 AM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

I am reading stuff about it being missing optical drive ‘coz its so thin,well no one asked Apple to make it so thin,it was a money making strategy for them to then buy a $100 external drive box.It really doesn’t have to be that thin,and beleive me,we all knowing apple the next version of Air model will get drives.In its first outing apple wanted to get all the bucks for its WOW! factor.