Wireless Surround Sound
Posted: 31 May 2008 04:46 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31

My family is thinking about investing in a home theater system to go with our HDTV downstairs.  (We currently have a Toshiba 34HF81 CRT HDTV 34” as I mentioned in another forum post on this site).  However, our one main constraint is that the back to speakers have to be wireless, as there is no practical way to run wires to the back.  Does anyone know of any good home theater systems that would offer wireless surround sound?

Posted: 01 June 2008 03:26 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2008-06-01

If you want to go top-of-the-line, you could go with the Bose Link AR1 or AL8 systems.

If not, you could check at your local Best Buy (or other) for a receiver with built-in wireless. They will help you find what you are looking for there.

Or, if you want just a very simple way to do things, the Griffin technologys’ Evolve speakers have an input that you could use to hook up properly to a non-wireless system. The good thing about these is that they do not have even a power cord running from them. The bad thing is that you would have to take them down and lay them on the charger every night (or something like that).

I hope this helps a little for now, I’m sure later there will be more extensive posts.

Posted: 01 June 2008 04:54 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

I personally hate wireless rear speakers because nothing is as good as some high gauge wire carrying a strong signal, but this is probably the cheapest you’ll find a decent wireless rear speaker set up.

Another option you see a lot more of these days is a sound bar like this one.  Obviously nothing is as good as as many individual speakers you can fit, but there’s certainly options that are a lot easier.  And prettier, if that matters to you.

Posted: 01 June 2008 10:08 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31

Thanks for both of your replies—this probably wont be a purchase we would make until the fall (but in all reality it would probably be later since we tend to drag our feet on purchases) but they wanted me to guage the market to see what was available as of today.  I’ll look into those options and let them know what options in different price ranges there are to choose from.  If anyone else has any other suggestions, please feel free to post as it would greatly help me.  Thanks!