1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 7
iPhone 1.1.3 firmware questions - submit here
Posted: 29 December 2007 09:34 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

Hi all,

We’ve been getting a ton of questions about the iPhone 1.1.3 firmware. We put up a gallery with a bunch of images, which you can find in our iPhone 1.1.3 firmware gallery.

We want to answer all questions that we can, so leave them here in this thread and we will answer them regularly.

Thanks all!

EDIT: Alright guys - first batch of answers is up here:

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q407-iphone-113-qa-batch-one/

If you can help us Digg the article, go here:

http://digg.com/apple/iPhone_1_1_3_questions_answered_by_Gear_Live

More to come!

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 29 December 2007 11:00 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-29

Does 1.1.3 seem more stable than previous versions of the iPhone software? Also, can you please provide a more in-depth look at the new Google Maps? In addition, can you please explain how the iPhone creates an icon for the Safari bookmarks (for the home screen)? Does it automatically take a snapshot of the top-left corner of the website?

Thank you.

Posted: 30 December 2007 07:01 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-12-30

Do you see these changes as a preview of what’s to come in February with the release of the SDK?

E

Posted: 30 December 2007 07:11 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-30

Why didn’t you guys post a screen shot of the version like you said you would?

Posted: 30 December 2007 07:31 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-30

Any indication that Apple will increase the ring/vibrate level(s)?  I miss a lot of calls, especially when there is other ambient noise present (like TV or a car radio).  Thanks.

Posted: 30 December 2007 07:37 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-30

It seems like they spent time working on the Safari browser. Is there any Flash support or other noticeable upgrade beyond the webclip-esque dashboard icon?

Is there any video support or extra options in the camera app?

Is there anything out of the ordinary in the settings menu?  Does video out still only apply to video or does the UI (Dashboard) also show up?

Posted: 30 December 2007 08:17 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-29

Thank you for posting that video. You answered one of the questions from my previous post. I am curious why Apple decided to create a separate search button instead of keeping it the way it was. Does Google Maps provide search results based on the location found by the triangulation feature?

Posted: 30 December 2007 08:36 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-30

Great work guys. 2 questions actually
1. Can you save anything to the disk, such as pictures off a webpage or email attachments?

2. Can you copy and paste? PLEASE god let them have added copy and paste functionality honestly how hard is it ????

Posted: 30 December 2007 08:39 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-30

Do virginized phones survive the upgrade????

Posted: 30 December 2007 08:39 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-12-30

great video! i’m excited about 1.1.3! i was wondering if there was any noticable speedups or perfomance enhancements or better stability in safari. i know even after i restored 1.1.2 original firmware, the i have so many pictures in my camera roll that the graphics glitch when i try to scroll, such as getting stuck or pause randomly on there way down. is this just me or is anyone else having this issue?

Posted: 30 December 2007 08:59 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-30

Thanks for the video

Posted: 30 December 2007 09:05 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-30

that is one of the most often asked questions newrazr… if you read anything you’ll see that that text is saved on the user part of the phone, which firmware upgrades don’t touch. if you back up your phone in itunes beforehand, itunes will even restore that!

Posted: 30 December 2007 09:10 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-30

Is that mean you can unlocked the iphone (1.1.3 updated) or may be just activate it to use like an itouch, if yes then can you show us how to do it with the 1.1.2 bootloader 4.06 (already jailbroken)
And where can i get the 1.1.3 firmware ?

Posted: 30 December 2007 09:21 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-30

the reason it says “Nate” is because he had a jailbroken phone on an earlier firmware and when it updates, it reapplies that file that had the changes from the user partition. erica sadun’s app that changes this saves the file in the user partition. he probably changed it when it was a jailbroken 1.1.2. also, he is not going to release the 1.1.3 firmware that he has from his source, because they believe that it may have been watermarked. (possibly traceable) and he does not want to give away his source / get sued by apple for leaking it. YOU CAN’T DOWNLOAD IT ANYWHERE ONLINE RIGHT NOW.

Posted: 30 December 2007 11:48 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-30

Stereo BlueTooth?

Have you tried pairing the 1.1.3 iPhone with a stereo bluetooth headset and playing songs thru it?

Thanks

Posted: 31 December 2007 12:01 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-30

Just a couple of things:

On SMS:
1. Can you forward and save (to Notepad)?
2. Does it support VCards?

MMS support (not a deal-breaker really)

Full image resolution uploads via email?

Posted: 31 December 2007 12:10 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-12-31

Hi! In the beginning of the video, you said that you were going to show a picture of the bootloader. Well, there wasn’t a picture.
Could you take a picture of it, or post the version of it?!

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 31 December 2007 01:19 AM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-31

Any idea on when Apple will release this firmware to the general public?

Posted: 31 December 2007 01:24 AM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-31

No one else has mentioned this, and I’m not trying to start a controversy or anything but if you look near the cell signal bars it says “Nate” instead of “AT&T;”, or for argument’s sake “T-Mobile”, should there be adventurous users out there who’ve unlocked etc for them. Either Nate True jailbroke his phone and somehow customized it so show his name when he has service, or it was photoshopped frame by frame. I know photoshopping in “Nate” frame by frame doesn’t really make much sense, but that’s all I can think of.

clayton620 - 31 December 2007 05:19 AM

Any idea on when Apple will release this firmware to the general public?

Even if they had that information I doubt they’d share it since they’re probably already in trouble with Apple for showing what they’ve shown already.

Posted: 31 December 2007 01:48 AM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-31
ShiggyMiyamoto - 31 December 2007 05:24 AM

No one else has mentioned this, and I’m not trying to start a controversy or anything but if you look near the cell signal bars it says “Nate” instead of “AT&T;”, or for argument’s sake “T-Mobile”, should there be adventurous users out there who’ve unlocked etc for them. Either Nate True jailbroke his phone and somehow customized it so show his name when he has service, or it was photoshopped frame by frame. I know photoshopping in “Nate” frame by frame doesn’t really make much sense, but that’s all I can think of.

There is a utility to change the network name but since they say the firmware fixes all the avenues currently used to jailbreak my guess is the change simply survived the upgrade.

Posted: 31 December 2007 01:51 AM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
N00b
Joined  2007-12-31

The video was to dispel beliefs of this being a prank with modded software. I hope it is but a few things bring doubt to my mind.
1. The name in the top left is NATE not the AT&T;as i would expect ( in the US at least)
2. When info on fireware is released, It usually is followed with a Date or Estimated date of some sort. I understand if apple wants to get hype up to get people excited to buy a phone, but no dates have been specified.
3. A previous letter by Steve Jobs said that there would be application support ( specifically searching for contacts) to be released… soon. There was no reference to New applications, yet allowed for 2+ “Pages” of applications/shortcuts.

Either apple is holding out information. or only partial information is being conveyed. If anyone has information on any of these topics please send me a message.

Posted: 31 December 2007 01:54 AM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-31

Well. I somehow think that apple is going to announce the firmware on MacWorld. Maybe release it the same date?
Or, they’ll release it the same day as the release the SDK!

However, I do think that this is a firmware hoax. And “Nate” instead of AT&T;.. well. Could be that 1.1.3 didn’t modify the carrier logo back to its usual state.

Posted: 31 December 2007 01:57 AM   [ # 22 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-31

The killer app for me to get me to upgrade straight away would be copy/paste I used a different password on each website I go to (an insignificant forum was hacked and they used the user and pass to hijack my paypal and ebay accnts) and they are random 14 character beasts.  I have a online script that generates them from the domain of the site hashed with a master password.  Without copy and paste it’s a frustrating process to enter passwords.

Posted: 31 December 2007 02:10 AM   [ # 23 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-12-31
someguy2054 - 31 December 2007 05:51 AM

The video was to dispel beliefs of this being a prank with modded software. I hope it is but a few things bring doubt to my mind.
1. The name in the top left is NATE not the AT&T;as i would expect ( in the US at least)
2. When info on fireware is released, It usually is followed with a Date or Estimated date of some sort. I understand if apple wants to get hype up to get people excited to buy a phone, but no dates have been specified.
3. A previous letter by Steve Jobs said that there would be application support ( specifically searching for contacts) to be released… soon. There was no reference to New applications, yet allowed for 2+ “Pages” of applications/shortcuts.

Either apple is holding out information. or only partial information is being conveyed. If anyone has information on any of these topics please send me a message.

PLEASE::  Can’t you guys at least read the WHOLE thread before sending off a post??? It has been plainly stated here and in other forums that preferences are saved through an update - SO if Nate had used the ‘Make It Mine’ app and changed the carrier name from whatever to Nate then it STAYS!!!  (along with a whole lot of other details). So please lets at least give some thanks for the guys for putting the video together and setting up this forum and for providing the video in many formats.
Another thing that seems to be forgotten so easily is that it’s an iPhone made by Apple - not from M$ - and if the guys only made QuickTime compatable movies then its for you to get the necessary codecs. YOU have to change, not APPLE or APPLE products

Posted: 31 December 2007 02:13 AM   [ # 24 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2007-12-31
Xserve - 31 December 2007 06:10 AM
someguy2054 - 31 December 2007 05:51 AM

PLEASE::  Can’t you guys at least read the WHOLE thread before sending off a post??? It has been plainly stated here and in other forums that preferences are saved through an update - SO if Nate had used the ‘Make It Mine’ app and changed the carrier name from whatever to Nate then it STAYS!!!  (along with a whole lot of other details). So please lets at least give some thanks for the guys for putting the video together and setting up this forum and for providing the video in many formats.
Another thing that seems to be forgotten so easily is that it’s an iPhone made by Apple - not from M$ - and if the guys only made QuickTime compatable movies then its for you to get the necessary codecs. YOU have to change, not APPLE or APPLE products

You sir are wrong. The companies have to adapt to the people, not the other way around. If the companies don’t give their consumers what they want, they’ll soon notice that the consumers are going to abandon the company.

Posted: 31 December 2007 02:14 AM   [ # 25 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-07-26

Here is the question that I am dying to find out the answer to….is there a way to turn off sms popup notifications in the settings yet?

I am an avid twitter user and get around 50,000 text messages a month on my iPhone, and hitting ignore gets tiresome.

Thanks Andru keep up the great work.

Nick Starr

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 7