Steam vs. Windows Live
Posted: 11 May 2007 11:23 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2007-04-26

I came across a story that outlined Valves future view of Steam. I originaly wanted to quote the main part of the story but it made my posts blank so I think I’ll just have to say: Read the last half of this story. Basicaly Steam is going to pull a Windows Live like substance out of their hat.

So I, only going on what I’ve heard about Live, assume these things are pretty much the same thing except coming from different companies. If so I’d have to say I think Steam will “win” despite some peoples negative outlook on it.

I think a good portion of people who concider themselves a PC gamer have bought a Steam backed game, so it’s already out there as far as brand association goes whereas Windows Live has to try and break into the PC zone.

Since I assume either Live or Steam will only work with Live and Steam enabled games I may just end up sticking with my Xfire/Ventrillo combination.

[ Edited: 11 May 2007 11:29 PM by Robotkio]
 Signature 

Even in the case of ladders, when simple hand-over-hand coordination is required, only one in four zombies will succeed.

Posted: 13 May 2007 01:50 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2007-04-26

well the idea sounds good, just as long as we do not start getting forced to pay for the stuff that we can do now for free. 

How many people would prefer getting a game in steam vs getting it from the store box copy?

Posted: 13 May 2007 02:29 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

I don’t know about that. Windows Live isn’t going to have to TRY to break into anything. Microsoft has the power to integrate that right into the core of the OS through a Windows Update as a new feature if they so choose. And I bet a lot more publishers make their games Live aware as opposed to Steam…er…aware. Why? Downloadable content over Live via MS Point = bank.

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 13 May 2007 06:12 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26
Andru Edwards - 13 May 2007 05:29 PM

I don’t know about that. Windows Live isn’t going to have to TRY to break into anything. Microsoft has the power to integrate that right into the core of the OS through a Windows Update as a new feature if they so choose. Live aware as opposed to Steam…er…aware. Why? Downloadable content over Live via MS Point = bank.

True, but as a subscription service I see Live being potentialy less popular than Steam. Outside of that I don’t see many differences in what each company is offering. Though I could see developers being quicker to pick up Live since, like you said, Microsoft could just integrate it into a patch or something so pretty much everyone would have it anyway.

I half just figgure the “online experience” world for PC’s is just going to break into sections. We’ll still have developers making their own in-house server finding/searching software like they’re doing now a long with the groups of games that are Steam and Live enabled. So, come to think of it I’ll probably end up with both anyway. =/

Signature 

Even in the case of ladders, when simple hand-over-hand coordination is required, only one in four zombies will succeed.

Posted: 13 May 2007 09:21 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2007-05-03

Steam > Everything Else

Posted: 13 May 2007 11:52 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2007-04-26

I love going to the store to buy my games, music, and what ever it is that I’m going to get. I like having that “Its in my hands, and payed for” feeling.

Posted: 14 May 2007 12:23 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26
Tray D - 14 May 2007 02:52 AM

I love going to the store to buy my games, music, and what ever it is that I’m going to get. I like having that “Its in my hands, and payed for” feeling.

But whatdo you think about the matchmaking side of things outside of digital distribution?

Signature 

‹‹ Steam      Halo 3 Zune Unboxed ››