1 2 > 
1 of 2
What are you surfing on? Broadband or the ol’ Slug train?
Posted: 21 July 2004 08:30 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2004-06-20

Me, as of right now… unfortunately still on 56K…. :(  😢  😢  😢

(Until I go back to school,  :love: T1 :love:  )
And yo’sef?

Posted: 21 July 2004 08:33 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

Cable - 3.0 down / 384 up - it works for now.

But did you see this story on Gear Live ?

THAT is what I want!

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 23 July 2004 05:20 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2004-07-19

Yeah FIOS looks very interesting…

Posted: 28 July 2004 08:55 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2004-06-20

Wow, me want.

Posted: 28 July 2004 09:46 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  778
Joined  2005-01-17

im on dsl. 1.5down 1xxup.

Posted: 28 July 2004 04:29 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2004-07-28

my apt complex rite now has t1, but soon moving to a place with cable

Posted: 29 July 2004 05:27 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

They didn’t have DSL in my last apartment, so I stuck with Cable.  On a T1 now though, at work.  :drool:

Posted: 03 August 2004 10:51 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2004-08-03

3Mb/380kb Earthlink cable

pull anywhere between 2.6-2.8 Mb on most multistream downloads almost constantly.

Posted: 04 August 2004 01:07 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2004-07-30

I have 56k and AOL….  :(

Posted: 05 August 2004 12:52 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  2662
Joined  2005-01-06

Currently run cable

4.5MBps down / 768 UP [gotta love modem uncapping]

Signature 

http://www.pacats.com

Posted: 05 August 2004 02:24 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2004-07-30

3.0 Mbps DSL

Posted: 05 August 2004 03:34 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  778
Joined  2005-01-17

how much do ya pay for ya connections? im paying $35 a month for dsl 1.5Mbps down and have no idea up

Posted: 05 August 2004 04:00 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2004-07-30

I pay nothing, my company pays for mine 😛

Posted: 05 August 2004 04:16 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2005-01-06

anyone with high speed internet should check out this thread I started [not a threadjack attempt]

http://gearlive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=488

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2004 06:16 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  746
Joined  2004-12-28

Cable internet. It’s pretty fast because not many people use it in my neighborhood.  :D

[quote author=“munkyxtc”]Currently run cable

I’ve heard of this. I want to do it! Can’t your cable company detect the increase in speed though?

Posted: 07 August 2004 05:20 PM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2005-09-11

i second that rgriffy, can’t they detect and possibly prosecute you?

Posted: 08 August 2004 02:38 PM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2005-01-06

[quote author=“rgriffy”]Cable internet. It’s pretty fast because not many people use it in my neighborhood.  :D

I’ve heard of this. I want to do it! Can’t your cable company detect the increase in speed though?

Yes, as a matter of fact they can…I used to work for the cable company, and my cousin still does so I have the inside track on all of their ways to defend against it—Honestly though they won’t come after you unless you are running a web server behind it that uses more than 500 GB of upload a month FTP, streaming video, etc.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2004 03:07 PM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2004-08-04

[quote author=“munkyxtc”][quote author=“rgriffy”]Cable internet. It’s pretty fast because not many people use it in my neighborhood.  :D

Yes, as a matter of fact they can…I used to work for the cable company, and my cousin still does so I have the inside track on all of their ways to defend against it—Honestly though they won’t come after you unless you are running a web server behind it that uses more than 500 GB of upload a month FTP, streaming video, etc.

Since you used to work at a cable company you might be able to answer this.  I’m looking at hosting a website, that I know will get approx 100 hits a day.  Its an information website, with a decent ammount of pics.  I’m wondering what kind of upstream I would need.  I just want to know what level of DSL I would have to upgrade to to host it inhouse.  my dsl provider allows hosting, so thats not an issue.

Posted: 08 August 2004 04:12 PM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2005-01-06

[quote author=“stuthemonkey”][quote author=“munkyxtc”][quote author=“rgriffy”]Cable internet. It’s pretty fast because not many people use it in my neighborhood.  :D

Since you used to work at a cable company you might be able to answer this.  I’m looking at hosting a website, that I know will get approx 100 hits a day.  Its an information website, with a decent ammount of pics.  I’m wondering what kind of upstream I would need.  I just want to know what level of DSL I would have to upgrade to to host it inhouse.  my dsl provider allows hosting, so thats not an issue.

It really depends on the size of the images—are you going to have thumbnails that open in to full size images?  Really, if only 100-200 people visit your site daily, and you have a fair amount of images, a 256k up should be more than enough—you have to consider factors such as returning visitors that will have cached copies of pages, images etc—Your best bet is to have a main page that is fairly simple, and then have links to different sections that way the traffic will be deverted, and not all visitors will be loading massive amounts at the same time.

Really, if you break it down…if all 100 visitors came to the site at the same time, they would get 2.56k/sec upload—or half the speed of dialup—I’m sure that’s not going to happen—most likely you’ll never have more than 10 unique visitors at a time, therefore, they’ll get more than 25k/sec on the upload—your best bet is to try it out, and if it doesn’t work for you, go with a cheap host—you can pick one up for around $7/mo.  that way your site will be able to handle the bandwidth.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2004 04:23 PM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-08-04

[quote author=“munkyxtc”][quote author=“stuthemonkey”][quote author=“munkyxtc”][quote author=“rgriffy”]Cable internet. It’s pretty fast because not many people use it in my neighborhood.  :D

It really depends on the size of the images—are you going to have thumbnails that open in to full size images?  Really, if only 100-200 people visit your site daily, and you have a fair amount of images, a 256k up should be more than enough—you have to consider factors such as returning visitors that will have cached copies of pages, images etc—Your best bet is to have a main page that is fairly simple, and then have links to different sections that way the traffic will be deverted, and not all visitors will be loading massive amounts at the same time.

Really, if you break it down…if all 100 visitors came to the site at the same time, they would get 2.56k/sec upload—or half the speed of dialup—I’m sure that’s not going to happen—most likely you’ll never have more than 10 unique visitors at a time, therefore, they’ll get more than 25k/sec on the upload—your best bet is to try it out, and if it doesn’t work for you, go with a cheap host—you can pick one up for around $7/mo.  that way your site will be able to handle the bandwidth.

I have a cheap host now.  I was just wondering if I could up my DSL connection to support the website, and then not pay the hosting, and have complete control over the website and database myself.  The website I want to host is the website for the local movie theatre that my family runs.  We have been running theatres in our town since 1949.

If you want to check it out the website is http://www.richlandcinemas.com

Posted: 08 August 2004 04:30 PM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2005-01-06

>>stuthemonkey<<

Just checked out the site…very cool—I’d stop in and suppor the business on my next movie outting but it’s a bit far from Philadelphia 😉

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2004 04:32 PM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-08-04

[quote author=“munkyxtc”]>>stuthemonkey<<

Just checked out the site…very cool—I’d stop in and suppor the business on my next movie outting but it’s a bit far from Philadelphia 😉

no problem.  Thanks for the offer to support.  I just wish I could get such offers for my ipod referrals.  I’m never gonna get 5 successful.

Posted: 08 August 2004 04:47 PM   [ # 22 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2005-01-06

[quote author=“stuthemonkey”][quote author=“munkyxtc”]>>stuthemonkey<<

no problem.  Thanks for the offer to support.  I just wish I could get such offers for my ipod referrals.  I’m never gonna get 5 successful.

hang in there, you’ll get them.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2004 04:49 PM   [ # 23 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-08-04

[quote author=“munkyxtc”][quote author=“stuthemonkey”][quote author=“munkyxtc”]>>stuthemonkey<<

hang in there, you’ll get them.

well not being on a conga doesn’t help.  I didn’t find out about this place soon enough.  and no one I know wants to take the time to fill everything out.

Posted: 23 August 2004 12:34 PM   [ # 24 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  2004-08-16

cable. it is super great.

Posted: 23 August 2004 05:43 PM   [ # 25 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2004-08-06

I’m on DSL. 384k down and 128k up :(

1 2 > 
1 of 2