Which is better store for gear?  Best Buy or Circuit City?
Posted: 26 July 2004 05:24 AM     [ Ignore ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

I’ve had better deals with Best Buy, but Circuit City seems to be better for HDTV’s.  What do you guys think?

Posted: 26 July 2004 05:30 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

I go with CC strictly because of the 110% price match guarantee…so even when they ARENT the cheapest, this policy automatically makes them become the cheapest.

But I like the “feeling” of being in Best Buy more.

Why do you say CC is better for HDTV?

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 26 July 2004 08:44 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  2662
Joined  2005-01-06

I personally prefer Best Buy—CC [at least around here]; it a bit too uptight; people start to panic when you juggle the digital cameras, and the salespeople are always too pushy; When I’m shopping if I have questions I’ll find you, don’t stalk me—Also [from a source inside CC] They now have a OFFICIAL Policy that states when someone is buying a large purchase [computer say]; they are to follow you around with a hand basket, and take off the shelves all the items you may ever need for the computer.  I’m not just talking about CDr’s or anything like that.  They are told to get UPS’s, networking equipment—basically stuff you may need, but shouldn’t be forced down your throat

Signature 

http://www.pacats.com

Posted: 26 July 2004 09:04 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“munkyxtc”]people start to panic when you juggle the digital cameras

:lol:

In my area, (NYC) there’s this really nice Best Buy downtown.  I found that they have good prices and a nice selection, though I’m not sure about a price-match guarantee.  Problem is that when you go to the back, they don’t seem like they have as large a selection for HDTV’s.  Their focus seems to be more on PC’s and peripherals/accessories. 

CC is reversed.  They have a dedicated sound-test room for home theatre types, but their PC stuff is hidden away.  Maybe it’s just the store layout that’s the issue, and not the products.

Posted: 26 July 2004 09:18 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2004-07-18

It’s been my experience that when I go into Circuit City, I get beaten over the head with something blunt. Their customer service is always horrible. I like Best Buy because of the magic warrantee policy where if you break anything, you can replace it no questions asked.  I’m sure they lose a lot of money every year because of that policy. My friend has upgraded his iPod about 4 times.

Posted: 26 July 2004 10:23 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  778
Joined  2005-01-17

As of now CC just because they screwed up and got myself a 6800gt for $301 :D

Posted: 29 July 2004 07:20 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2004-07-28

I have to say that I’ve had bad experiences with Best Buy.  I once ordered a printer online and the order processed and went to the receipt page.  I printed out the receipt and waited for the status to change to shipped.  After two days the status hadn’t changed when I checked and the evening of the second day, the printer disappeared from my purcahsed items list!

I called customer service to find out what was going on and the girl on the phone told me that they had no record of my order at all!  She told me to place the order again.  I thought it was odd that I had gone through the ordering process, had a reciept for the order, and could view the item on my ordered list, yet they had no record of it.

About a week later, I went to a Best Buy store to get the same printer.  I figured going there in person would be easier.  I found the printer and asked one of the salespeople if I could print a test page on the floor model.  The person I was talking to said something like “sure, no problem, let me get some paper” and proceeded to the customer service counter.  I waited about 10 minutes for the person to return and then saw her leave the store.  Apparently she had forgotten about me.

Needless to say, I bought the printer elsewhere.

I don’t really like Circuit City either.

Posted: 29 July 2004 08:18 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

i only have a Best Buy but i heard circuit city has some pretty damn good deals when it comes to clearence.

Posted: 30 July 2004 03:10 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“sweet jesus”]when I go into Circuit City, I get beaten over the head with something blunt.

:lol:

The Best Buy down in NYC is pretty friendly, while it takes me a while to find any help in CC.

Posted: 30 July 2004 03:12 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18

[quote author=“Chris655”]I have to say that I’ve had bad experiences with Best Buy.  I waited about 10 minutes for the person to return and then saw her leave the store.
I don’t really like Circuit City either.

So it’s settled.  they both suck.  😉

Depending on what you go in for.

Posted: 30 July 2004 04:43 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2004-07-19

I’d say if your walking in to either looking for help, your short.
But BB has screwed me over on more transactions so my vote goes to CC.

Posted: 30 July 2004 06:43 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2004-07-30

My vote goes to BB because most of the CCs here (Atlanta) have some of the rudest people.  That and I like getting GCs for the reward zone membership at BB.