Just got back from Spiderman 2 Midnight Show [Review Inside]
Posted: 29 June 2004 10:49 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2004-06-20

Just got back from Spiderman 2 and… well:

Walk with me here, folks…

What I was expecting from this movie was this: that it would be genuinely better than the first, in both story-telling, plot, character developement, and fight scenes.

Were my expectations met? Yes, yes they were. For the most part… I’ll try to describe my few gripes without spoilers first, for those who still haven’t seen it: I thought that too much was revealed towards the end of the movie, which doesn’t leave much for character developement in the next movie. OK, that’s the best way to put it.  Also, nothing was seen from the Lizard guy (forgot his name,) if they would’ve hinted at that, I think it would have been really awesome, but I guess that’s a personal thing.

Fight Scenes- Great (LOVED the fight on the subway/train)
Special Effect & Sound- Spectacular
Dialog- Good for the most part with a few cheesy lines
Overall- 8.5/10

(Not the greates movie I’ve seen, but definitely worth spending the $7.. if you’re going to spend that much….)

*****SPOILERS*****

My favorite scene:

I’m usually a pessimist, so my favorite scene was when Peter was just not having his day…or night, at a gala. Every time he grabbed for an hoer’s deurve(sp?), someone else grabbed it before he got to it, he got dissed, smacked, and rejected by his best friend Harry, and he finds out that MJ has found someone new, and it’s his boss’s son! All of this withing a five-minute period, and after it all, he tries to grab a drink, only to find the glass empty… horribly sad.

Least favorite scene:

What dissapointed me was pretty much the entire end of the movie, after the final battle. The fact that both Harry and MJ discover who he is in this movie removes most, if not all of the tension that existed between Peter and these characters. I think it was a little too little to leave for the next movie (characterwise, between these 3,) but who knows, I haven’t seen the script for SM3.

OK, so I guess that does it, hope it helps!

Oh, and I got a free spidey foam mit when I first got there, that was cool.

Posted: 30 June 2004 06:09 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2004-06-28

wow thnx im heading out to see this in about an hour. Cant WAIT!!!!!!

Posted: 30 June 2004 01:42 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

yeah i have to agree. I thought it was pretty good though. 9/10 for me.

Posted: 03 July 2004 08:55 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-06-27

I wasn’t a big fan of it

It was wayyyy to cheesy

“I’ve always been at your doorway”

I’ve always loved the comic, but this is too much romance, and it doesn’t stick to the comic much.

good movie, but to me was not worth my $8.75 (yes, movies are almost 9$ here in WI)

Posted: 08 July 2004 10:46 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2004-06-26

I loved the movie, just as much as the first!

Posted: 12 July 2004 10:51 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-06-20

I absolutely LOVED this movie. Saw it twice in three days, and plan on going again as soon as I can. No complaints at all.

[quote author=“dangrouslychzy”]Also, nothing was seen from the Lizard guy (forgot his name,) if they would’ve hinted at that, I think it would have been really awesome, but I guess that’s a personal thing.

They DID show him, as Dr. Curt Connors, Peter’s professor. You know, the one with one arm? Big hint there…

Least favorite scene:

What dissapointed me was pretty much the entire end of the movie, after the final battle. The fact that both Harry and MJ discover who he is in this movie removes most, if not all of the tension that existed between Peter and these characters. I think it was a little too little to leave for the next movie (characterwise, between these 3,) but who knows, I haven’t seen the script for SM3.

Well, this does actually happen in the comics. Hell, MJ knew for the longest, and Harry became the second Green Goblin knowing the identity of Spidey, if I’m not mistaken. At the very least, it’s not against canon to have them know his identity. This movie franchise can’t go on for 40+ years like the comic, so they have to consolidate the stories.

Plus, the tension will continue, in the fact of how they react and deal with the knowledge that Peter is Spidey. I think it can lead to interesting things if a few people know his secret identity.

Posted: 24 July 2004 04:23 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2004-12-22

it was BAD :o yep, waste of 6 bucks

i have to go see the third though, because of the ending of #2

Posted: 29 July 2004 08:36 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

are you crazy… Spidy 2 was incredible. TOo much lovey dovey though.

Posted: 30 July 2004 03:33 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

(Not the greates movie I’ve seen, but definitely worth spending the $7.. if you’re going to spend that much….)

It’s $10 in NYC.  More if you try Fandangroin it.  Yeah, it was too much lovey-dovey for me too.  The shot at the end with MJ on the giant web…ha!  The whole theatre laughed.

Posted: 30 July 2004 07:24 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2004-06-20

$10 DAAAAYUUUUM!!!!

Wow, if I lived there I would NEVER pay to see a movie.

Here it’s $6.50.

Posted: 02 August 2004 12:22 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2005-09-11

For the most part, this movie was absolutely fantastic. You can’t help but love the fight scenes, as most of us secretly would give anything to have those abilities 😛

I think the problem with the romantic aspects of the film, is that we haven’t accepted that the character, “Peter Parker”, has been in love with Mary Jane Watson for his entire life. His love for her even challenges his responsibilities as Spiderman, and let’s not forget that he undertook those responsibilities on the eve of his father-figure’s death (Uncle Ben)...because of that loss…because of what his uncle meant to him and what his uncle said. To undermine that level of desire and longing would totally destroy the integrity of the story and the meaning of everything Peter Paker stands for. They had to do it, basically 😛