Nintendo DS vs Sony PSP, the great battle begins!
Posted: 28 June 2004 11:45 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2004-06-20

All right, fighters, get in your corners. Let’s learn a little about these two future scramblers of the world’s handheld market, shall we?

Nintendo DS

With its two screens, Nintendo DS instantly shows its innovative face. But capabilities like a touch-screen input, voice recognition and wireless communication set it apart from every other game device, and again demonstrate Nintendo?s passion for groundbreaking originality.

Game players need only use their imagination to see how the DS promises to transform the portable game industry by changing the way gamers relate to their games ? and each other. Two screens offer two perspectives on the action at once. The touch screen could make accessing items, moving characters or navigating menus as easy as a tap or drag on the screen. Voice recognition could let players simply tell the game what they want it to do. Chat software will let users transmit text messages, handwriting and even drawings to one another. And wireless functions could link players in the same room ? or across the country. The unique features of the Nintendo DS hold a wellspring of potential for the future. Game players will be wowed.

Source: Nintendo.com

Sony PSP

Sony’s PSP comes in a black color, with a 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD centered in a sleek ergonomic design with a high-quality finish that fits comfortably in the hands. The dimensions are 170mm x 74mm x 23mm with a weight of 260g. PSP features a high-quality TFT LCD that displays full color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen.

PSP also comes equipped with diverse input/output connectors such as USB 2.0, and 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LAN. In addition, software and data can be downloaded through a USB or wireless network onto Memory Stick? PRO Duo. All of these features can be enjoyed on one single system.

PSP adopts a small but high-capacity optical medium UMD? (Universal Media Disc) that can store up to 1.8GB of digital data. A broad range of digital entertainment content such as music video clips, movies and sports programs can be provided on UMD.

Source: Playstation.com

While the PSP may look sleeker and more technically well-endowed, the DS seems to have more features and nifty things about it. Also, currently there are more developers signed up for DS projects than PSP projects, and that’s usually the most important thing. The PSP also seems like it will be phenominally expensive and a bitch on batteries. My bet, if these two things aren’t fixed, goes with the DS. Alot of people, including me, though, say that the DS looks pretty “shat” and needs to be revamped, which Nintendo has said it will do, thanfully.

What are your guys’ thoughts?

[ 7/28/04: Updated with redesgned DS pic ]

Posted: 30 June 2004 06:07 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-06-30

both look incredible. Im still gonna have to decide which to get. If psp doesnt drop its price a little i think im going with Nintendo.

Posted: 17 July 2004 07:52 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2004-12-22

I’m diehard Nintendo since 1984 so my choice is made.

To sound non-partial I will say that the PSP is just a portable PS2 and it won’t be much more, probably not ever.

The DS has proven to be as good as the N64 and even pulled off some impressive GC quality 3D.  With the unique and original design of the system, it will be more than just a portable version of a pre-existing console by Nintendo.

But even though the PSP will be less original and more money and play games you’ve basically already played before in the same way you played them before, I guarantee it will outsell the DS because thats the dominance Sony has recently in the market.  Sad days are coming for Nintendo and its killing me to say that.

Posted: 19 July 2004 04:19 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2004-07-17

What in the world is the problem with the DS?  It looks fine to me.  So, it may look like a crossbreeding of a taco with two GBA SPs, but it’ll still be more friendly on batteries than the PSP.  What I want to know about Sony’s releases on battery life is what’s up with the differences?  If you watch a movie, it’s only supposed to have a 2 hour span, but playing a game, you’ll get 10?  These are the numbers I read in a magazine and they seem a bit backwards.  Since when does using the processors more yield longer battery life?  Another problem I foresee for the PSP:  skipping.  It’s still a disc based system, so what happens if you’re in the middle of some epic battle and your car hits a bump and makes you jostle the system?

Posted: 20 July 2004 02:12 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

I love how Nintendo called the DS a third tier system.  In other words, in case it fails, they’ll unveil the “real” Gameboy shortly afterwards.  😛 I might get the DS simply because I’m tired of my old GBA screen, and never got the SP.

Posted: 20 July 2004 02:14 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-12-22

I love Nintendo till the day I die but they call it a third tier, which in my mind is supposed to create a difference between the DS and the GBA.

So what do they do?

They make the DS able to play all GBA and GameBoy games.  Not a very good way to differentiate the system as a third tier.

Posted: 21 July 2004 09:04 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

Actually, the DS can play all GBA games…but it can NOT play any Game Boy, or Game Boy Color games. In addition, the DS will not be able to be connected to the GameCube via the GBA connection cable.

So there is SOME difference.  :mischeif:

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 28 July 2004 07:57 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2004-06-20

I’m totally in love with the new design, kudos to Nintendo on it, I think it may even have the upper hand on Sony in the aesthetic field, although that’s the least of my concern. Both systems now have great designs, Sony’s still has the better graphics capabilities (although, so did the Linx, Game Gear, etc.) Nintendo has over 120 titles in production for the DS (DAAAAYYYUUUUM!) The tables have definitely turned, IMO, if they were ever on Sony’s side, that is. Time for their next press release.

Posted: 28 July 2004 08:01 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-12-22

Sony will have its legions of fans buying the PSP and spending twice as much for a second version of games they already own.

The DS will be all new, nothing you’ve ever played before in a way you’ve never played before for half the price and already has the entire library of GBA titles.

But then again I am a Nintendo diehard since 1984 so I might be the wrong person to ask.

Posted: 29 July 2004 08:30 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

i think im going psp. I love the playstation and the games that are going to be on psp.