Elektra = Don’t Waste Your $
Posted: 18 January 2005 03:11 AM     [ Ignore ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

Effects and acting were decent, but the actual fighting was non-existent.  If you ever become an action movie maker, please remember to treat your audiences to great fight scenes.  Pull the camera back so that we can follow it.  And make them elaborate and dance-like, with lots of blocking, reversals and flips.

Matrix will forever own you all.

8)

Posted: 18 January 2005 03:19 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  718
Joined  2006-04-28

lmfao u hate every new movie that comesmout huh… but your righ ton this one right scenes were stupid.. btw matrix sucked.

Posted: 18 January 2005 04:09 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“kobe”]lmfao u hate every new movie that comesmout huh… but your righ ton this one right scenes were stupid.. btw matrix sucked.

I’m pretty tough on movies, I guess.  😊  Name an action film that even comes close to the Matrix.  😛

Posted: 18 January 2005 04:26 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

i figured elektra sucked. the only reason i was gonna see it was to see the fantastic four trailer. i saw some clips of the fight scene and i wasn’t impressed. lots of quick short close up clips showing very little except a lot of chaos. it could of been a slap fight for all i know.

matrix certainly did have quality fight scenes. go watch any asian martial arts movie and you’ll also see fight scenes just as good, if not better. matrix looked so good cuz they had the budget to, most asian films work with a meager budget, so you have to take that into consideration. hector if you wanna see some cool fighting, go rent jackie chan’s Gorgeous. its not super high flying fighting, but its really impressive. there’s also Ong Bak (which you can buy from http://www.yesasia.com for really cheap on vcd. its a pretty new movie that has some sweet muay thai.

Posted: 18 January 2005 04:35 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18

Antman, should we create a Kung Fu thread??!  Did you ever see Jackie Chan’s Dunken Master, or Legend of Drunken Master.  I’ll tell you right now that the fighting there is unbelievable.  I am waiting to get paid so I can purchase these films already. 

I just put Gorgeous on NetFlix.

Is this what you meant for Ong Bak?

Posted: 18 January 2005 04:36 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18

lots of quick short close up clips showing very little except a lot of chaos. it could of been a slap fight for all i know.

Exactly!!!  I think they do this to hide the fact that the fighting talent sucks.

Posted: 18 January 2005 05:28 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-12-22

Yeup, I’ve seen both drunken masters. The fight scenes are sweet. I felt compelled to give it a try, so I threw down a few shots and tried to fight in the same manner. Didn’t work out so well. I just got really dizzy and threw up. ah well.  Jackie Chan is fun to watch, but I can’t really take him seriously as a martial artists since he learned everything he knows in theater school. Its fun to watch tho. I like Jet Li, cuz he’s pretty hardore about martial arts. Wushu World Champion by 17? yeah, pretty badass. There’s a new Jet Li movie coming out called Danny the Dog/ Unleashed (UK/US titles)...look it up,there might be the trailer on apple.com. looks pretty sweet.

about Ong Bak:  

that’s the one i’m talking about 😊

Posted: 18 January 2005 10:04 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  426
Joined  2004-10-15

Almost all action movies today suck.  They have no plot and just rely on the action scenes, which leave much to be desired.

Posted: 18 January 2005 12:31 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1649
Joined  2004-09-14

[quote author=“gobulls404”]Almost all action movies today suck.  They have no plot and just rely on the action scenes, which leave much to be desired.

This is why now I realise how good the sequels to Matrix were.  It didn’t rely soley on asskicking techniques to make the movie good but it also had an awsome plot(though at times confusing). The fighting scenes in the last Matrix were awsome.

Posted: 18 January 2005 03:36 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-12-22

but ass kicking is sooooo cool…..

arent most action movies like this tho? i mean ya, you get the one every now and then that concentrates on story, and u have a quality film. There are times tho that you just want a rock’m sock’m movie. not a complex story, just pull a generic one off the shelf. just make it fun. sort of like rundown or walking tall. it wasn’t an amazing movie, won’t ever win an oscar, but dammit, it was just plain entertaining.

Posted: 18 January 2005 03:56 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2005-01-03

7%
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/elektra/

Posted: 18 January 2005 04:31 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  426
Joined  2004-10-15

[quote author=“antman22”]but ass kicking is sooooo cool…..

arent most action movies like this tho? i mean ya, you get the one every now and then that concentrates on story, and u have a quality film. There are times tho that you just want a rock’m sock’m movie. not a complex story, just pull a generic one off the shelf. just make it fun. sort of like rundown or walking tall. it wasn’t an amazing movie, won’t ever win an oscar, but dammit, it was just plain entertaining.

It doesn’t have to be a complex story like the Matrix, just a good story.  There are plenty of good action movies, just not these days.

Posted: 21 January 2005 05:45 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

i thought it was pretty brutal. You see all the movies Hector, you should make a movie review section for Gearlive.

Posted: 21 January 2005 12:32 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  180
Joined  2005-11-15

Yea Ong-Bak is the ####, great fight scenes, if you want more good kungfu movies i suggest

Mystery of Chess Boxing
Shaolin Master Killer
Snake in the eagles shadow

and so many more. I like almost all the old shaw brothers kungfu movies.

You can probably tell, i have a TON of kungfu movies lol